Alex Casey, Leonie Hayden, Michèle A’Court tackle the past month in women, with thanks to our friends at The Women’s Bookshop.
Rough winds do shake the darling pod of May, but that won’t stop the On the Rag team huddling together in the midst of a thunderstorm. Not to get all Gone by Lunchtime on you, but it’s been a wild month for people in politics making truly bizarre statements, from Brian Tamaki to Alfred Ngaro, to the New Conservatives and their proposed Minister for Men.
There’s also the joys of Fleabag season two, some hearty chat about how best to tackle a digital detox and a peek at the scary corners of the internet. Incels are now getting plastic surgery to look like Chads, pick-up artists are flooding forums with the best places to “target” women and Golriz Ghahraman has shared her experience with online abuse.
1) The Political Years by Marilyn Waring
2) Finding Frances Hodgkins by Mary Kisler
3) This Mortal Boy by Fiona Kidman
4) Dead People I Have Known by Shayne Carter
5) Ordinary People by Diana Evans
6) Tin Man by Sarah Winman
7) Happiness by Aminatta Forna
8) Encyclopedia of Grannies by Eric Veille
9) Attraction by Ruby Porter
10) Purakau: Maori Myths Retold by Maori Writers edited by Whiti Hereaka and Witi Ihimaera
Download this episode (right click and save) or stream using the player below. You can subscribe using iTunes, Stitcher or your favourite podcast client (RSS feed). And now we’re available on Spotify!
The Spinoff Daily gets you all the days' best reading in one handy package, fresh to your inbox Monday-Friday at 5pm.