Welcome back to Papercuts, our monthly books podcast hosted by Louisa Kasza, Jenna Todd and Kiran Dass.
It’s February and our latest episode is packed to the gills. We chat trigger warnings, American Dirt, festivals, movies, poetry and of course, have our usual book reviews and TBR piles. Tune in!
- AWF Programme is out on the evening of 11th March
- Ockham Shortlist is out on March 4th.
- Highly recommended listen: Digging into American Dirt podcast
- Patti Smith helps Portland bookshop after break in.
- The 2020 NZ Festival of the Arts starts this week, 21 Feb – 15th March 2020.
- Writers programme including Kiran’s session with Booker International Prize Winner Jokha Alharthi, and Alharthi and Rijula Das
KD: Strange Hotel by Eimear McBride, Rest and be thankful by Emma Glass.
LK: Separation Anxiety by Laura Zigman
JT: Head Girl by Freya Daly Sadgrove (with a mention of As the Verb Tenses by Lynley Edmeades), In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
KD: Three Women by Robert Altman
LK: Next in Fashion on Netflix
The TBR Pile
KD: The Undying by Anne Boyer, Out of the Woods by Luke Turner,
LK: Middlemarch by George Eliot, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
JT: Topics of Conversation by Miranda Popkey, Burn the Place by Illana Regan, Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante (in preparation for the June release of The Lying Life of Adults), 2000f Above Worry Level by Eamonn Marra.
The Bulletin is The Spinoff’s acclaimed daily digest of New Zealand’s most important stories, delivered directly to your inbox each morning.