Listen to Alex Casey, Leonie Hayden and Michele A’Court tackle the past month in women, news and popular culture, with thanks to our friends at The Women’s Bookshop.
This month on On the Rag, we celebrate Ireland’s resounding Yes vote to repeal the amendment outlawing abortion, and look at the current state of things in New Zealand. We also go on a journey to find the resting place of all pads and tampons, and share some outlandish moon cup stories sent in from our listeners. Also: apparently toxic masculinity is over in this country and princesses nationwide just need to learn to harden up.
Beyond that, we tease our humiliating guest appearance on a very spicy episode of Bang!, share a top tip for eating pizza in bed and light a candle for Garry Marshall’s worst films. Head to our Facebook page for a chance to win Writers as Readers: A Celebration of Virago, and for further Book Club suggestions please enjoy The Women’s Bookshop top 10 bestsellers for May.
1) The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce
2) Driving To Treblinka: A Long Search for a Lost Father by Diana Wichtel
3) Tin Man by Sarah Winman
4) The New Animals by Pip Adam
5) Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
6) Warlight by Michael Ondaatje
7) The Kitchen Science Cookbook by Dr. Michelle Dickinson
8) White Houses by Amy Bloom
9) The Only Story by Julian Barnes
10) Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different by Ben Brooks
Download this episode (right click and save) or stream using the player below. You can subscribe using iTunes, Stitcher or your favourite podcast client (RSS feed). And now we’re available on Spotify!
On the Rag is made possible by The Women’s Bookshop, check them out IRL at 105 Ponsonby Road or shop online right here.
The Spinoff Daily gets you all the day's best reading in one handy package, fresh to your inbox Monday-Friday at 5pm.