If you love The Spinoff and are an experienced developer, we want to hear from you.
The Spinoff is looking for an intermediate developer to join us in our Morningside, Auckland office to take ownership and responsibility for the development of the full Spinoff site. This includes writing extensible and robust full stack code in PHP, designing and implementing new functionality, and managing the cloud architecture to ensure the website is performant and highly available. This is a full-time position with a fixed term six-month contract attached. There is potential for this to become a permanent role.
Duties and responsibilities
- Guiding the website’s architecture
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality
- Proactively seeking issues with plug-ins, WordPress features
- Ensuring high performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS
- Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working theme and plugin
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices using modern PHP frameworks
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling the product suite
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with other team members to match visual design intent
- Integrate user-facing elements developed on the front-end with server-side logic
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimise applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Implement security and data protection best practices
- Design and implement data storage solutions
- Manage dev-ops for a high availability website using a cloud based architecture
Skills and experience:
- An experienced developer with a minimum of 3-5 years within a similar role
- Experience with PHP, Html, CSS, Custom WordPress and Cloud computing experience
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Proven desire to learn and remain at the forefront of new and emerging technologies
- Experience using Cloud Services, ideally Google Cloud Platform
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm on 25 January 2021 with subject heading: Intermediate Developer.
The Spinoff Weekly compiles the best stories of the week – an essential guide to modern life in New Zealand, emailed out on Monday evenings.