The top of the country has endured another wild night of heavy rain and wind, with flash flooding hitting areas still recovering from Friday’s deluge.
Parts of Auckland were cut off earlier this morning as the northern motorway closed in both directions. Waka Kotahi said all lanes had now opened, however the Esmonde Road northbound on-ramp remains closed currently.
Parts of the Wairau Valley, where two people died before the weekend, have flooded once again.
However, the red heavy rain warning for Northland has been lifted.
Police have urged motorists to take extra care when travelling, and avoid the roads entirely if possible. “In some areas of heavy flooding, roadblocks are in place,” a spokesperson said. “Please do not drive through flood waters and remember hazards and debris could lurk beneath the surface and flood waters could be contaminated.”
Fire crews are also responding to what has been described as a steady stream of emergency calls that came in overnight. “Our communications centre has put our Multiple Incident Procedure in place. We are prioritising calls to properties with people in vulnerable circumstances, such as the elderly,” a statement, shared by Stuff, reads.
“We have sufficient resources around Auckland to respond to these priority calls, and we are asking people to only call 111 where life or property is at threat. Calls to flooded basements, for example, are not urgent. Please delay reporting those kinds of incidents until the current rainstorm has passed.”
The Herald has reported callouts to other Auckland suburbs including Hillcrest, Mount Roskill, Onehunga, Belmont, Lynfield, One Tree Hill, Remuera and Greenlane.