Could you be the right person to head up our Pōneke coverage?
Wellington is dear to The Spinoff’s heart and deep in our DNA. From parliament protests to poonamis, hand sculptures to hand gluers, capybaras to Currizza and mould to marae, we’ve been covering the capital for years. But now, for the first time ever, we’re thrilled to be looking for someone to lead The Spinoff’s Pōneke-based current affairs and culture coverage as the editor of a dedicated Pōneke section.
We’re after someone who is passionate about the city, teeming with story ideas and raring to explore both the glories and challenges of the place.
- Commissioning current affairs and culture coverage in Pōneke – generating ideas, assigning stories and soliciting pitches from a range of freelance contributors.
- Collaborating with The Spinoff editor on editorial strategy and planning for Wellington-based coverage.
- Managing a dedicated commissioning budget, ensuring spend is properly tracked and budget is adhered to.
- Writing high-impact features and opinion pieces on the city and its people
- Working with other editors within The Spinoff where stories overlap (for example, political coverage and cultural/arts events in Wellington).
- Collaborating with The Spinoff’s commercial department on commissioning and publishing paid content specific to Pōneke, and identifying partner opportunities.
Skills and experience
Candidates should have a minimum of five years’ experience in media. This could be a position for an established editor or an experienced writer ready to take the next step in their career. There is also the opportunity to tailor the role to include podcast and/or newsletter outputs, depending on the interests and skills of the candidate.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Aotearoa to apply for this role.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org All applications require a CV and a cover letter to be addressed to our editor, Madeleine Chapman.
Applications are due by July 14, 2023, but may close earlier if a suitable applicant is found.