spinofflive
Image: Getty Images
Image: Getty Images

The BulletinMarch 4, 2025

Will telehealth solve the GP crisis?

Image: Getty Images
Image: Getty Images

The government is betting big on remote healthcare, announcing a new 24/7 telehealth service. But virtual treatment is not always a substitute for IRL care, writes Catherine McGregor in today’s extract from The Bulletin.

To receive The Bulletin in full each weekday, sign up here.

Overseas doctors may staff new service

Online GP appointments are set to become a lot more commonplace with the announcement of a new 24/7 nationwide telehealth service. Health minister Simeon Brown says it will play a vital role in addressing GP waiting times, though doctors staffing the service may not necessarily be based in New Zealand. Speaking at Monday’s announcement, he said that “many of them will be from New Zealand” but “some of them may be GPs registered in New Zealand, but working offshore, able to support that service”, The Post’s Anna Whyte and Rachel Thomas report (paywalled).

How popular is telehealth currently?

While telehealth services saw a surge in uptake during the pandemic, usage has since receded. Research last year by the Health Quality and Safety Commission found that the proportion of GP appointments conducted via video call has never exceeded 20%, reports Mariné Lourens in The Press (paywalled). A Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners survey showed “48% of respondents never use video call when engaging with patients, while 25% never use patient portals. The main reason cited for not offering remote consultations was a lack of demand from patients.” The numbers have no doubt increased since that survey was conducted in 2022, particularly in areas where practices have been forced to introduce telehealth services due to GP shortages.

Not a panacea, GPs warn

Many GPs are keen supporters of telehealth, arguing that any tool which gives patients better access to healthcare has to be a positive. On the other hand, Dr Bryan Betty, chair of General Practice New Zealand (GPNZ), tells Lourens he thinks the benefits of telehealth have been “oversold”. It “tends to be useful for singular and semi-acute problems, but there is an inherent danger that [the doctor doesn’t] get a comprehensive picture of the patient’s health”, he says.

Writing in The Conversation, health academic and part-time Northland doctor Kyle Eggleton cites research demonstrating how telehealth can encourage unsafe medical practices such as increased prescribing, and is unsuitable for a range of more complex health issues. “These end up getting pushed back onto face-to-face doctors to be managed acutely or in emergency rooms, thereby increasing the burden at these points of care,” he writes.

Funding for more primary care doctors and nurses

Along with the telehealth service, Monday’s announcement included a new two-year programme training for up to 100 overseas-trained doctors to allow them to work in primary care, reports the NZ Herald. The government will also help fund the recruitment of 400 graduate nurses a year by GP practices and other non-hospital providers through incentives of up to $20,000 per placement. “This helps attract essential healthcare staff where they’re desperately needed, particularly in rural areas,” Brown said. The announcement also includes a performance-based $285 million uplift for general practice over three years, starting from July 1.

Labour leader Chris Hipkins said that while “of course” he’d welcome more GPs, the health minister had dropped the ball on bigger-picture issues like illness prevention and early detection. He said the government had made the situation worse by cutting free prescriptions and underfunding the pharmacy-operated minor ailments service.

Keep going!
trump, a man with puffy blond hair and a red tie seems to yell at volodymyr zelenskyy
US president Donald Trump berates Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy. (Photo: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The BulletinMarch 3, 2025

World reacts in horror to Trump and Zelenskyy’s Oval Office showdown

trump, a man with puffy blond hair and a red tie seems to yell at volodymyr zelenskyy
US president Donald Trump berates Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy. (Photo: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The confrontation made clear the Trump administration’s increasing contempt for the Ukraine war effort, writes Catherine McGregor in today’s extract from The Bulletin.

To receive The Bulletin in full each weekday, sign up here.

Ten fiery minutes that shook the world

It’s been called the most consequential moment in the Ukraine war since Russia’s invasion just over three years ago. The astonishing Oval Office set-to between Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Donald Trump and JD Vance has all but destroyed the prospect of a US-brokered peace deal between Ukraine and Russia, while an agreement on US access to Ukraine’s rare earth minerals – a bartering chip for continued US aid – was left abandoned in the White House after Zelenskyy was asked to leave. US support for the Ukraine war effort is now in more peril than even a fortnight ago, when Trump called Zelenskyy a “dictator” and falsely accused Ukraine of starting the war.

In Europe, where the Russia threat is most acute, the reverberations from the meeting have been profound. “The scene in the White House yesterday took my breath away,” said German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier. “I would never have believed that we would one day have to protect Ukraine from the USA.” Perhaps even more strikingly, European Union foreign minister Kaja Kallas said, “Today it became clear that the free world needs a new leader. It’s up to us, Europeans, to take this challenge.”

World leaders rally around Ukraine

Immediately after the disastrous White House meeting, Zelenskyy flew directly to the UK. He was met with (literal) open arms by prime minister Keir Starmer, who said the country would stand with Ukraine “for as long as it may take”. Overnight, more than a dozen European leaders, including Starmer and Zelenskyy, gathered in London for talks on the worsening situation.

In the hours following the Trump-Zelenskyy clash, world leaders took to X to reaffirm their backing for Ukraine. Christopher Luxon was one. “New Zealand remains steadfast in its support for Ukraine as it defends itself in a war that Russia started,” the prime minister tweeted. “It’s mounting the defence of a proud, democratic and sovereign nation, but also the defence of international law.” As he did with every other leader’s pro-Ukraine tweet, Zelenskyy retweeted Luxon’s message with a brief expression of thanks. Ukraine’s ambassador to New Zealand, Vasyl Myroshnychenko, said he was thankful for the “outburst of support” from New Zealand in the wake of the Oval Office meeting.

Unwilling to upset US, NZ government walks a fine line

While Luxon’s tweet contained an implied criticism of Trump’s treatment of Zelenskyy, actually coming out and stating it plainly is another matter. Writing in The Conversation, Waikato University’s Alexander Gillespie says that as Trump continues to attack international norms, New Zealand’s silence is becoming less tenable by the day. “New Zealand’s vaunted independent foreign policy… has been a workable mechanism to navigate the challenges facing a small trading nation reliant on a rules-based global order,” he writes. “[But] as the old world order erodes, losing its voice for fear of offending bigger powers cannot become the country’s default position.

NZ looks to up defence spending

Gillespie’s fellow geopolitical expert Robert Patman tells Stuff’s Thomas Manch that the Oval Office blowup – and the recent tensions with China – should concentrate the minds of those holding New Zealand’s defence purse strings. The government is currently preparing a Defence Capability Plan which will include a major increase in defence spending, minister Judith Collins told 1News last week. “This is a big budget item for us, and it’s going to have to be for quite a long term to make up for the 35 years of feeling that we’re living in this wonderful world where nothing bad could happen.”

Read more