Alex Casey, Leonie Hayden and Michèle A’Court tackle the past month in women, with thanks to our friends at The Women’s Bookshop.
As Christmas breathes down our necks and summer threatens us with bikini waxing, it’s time to have a bit of a rage. November was a rough month for women in New Zealand. The Grace Millane trial was dragged through the media in excruciating detail, and the public examination of her sex life reminded us that women just can’t win either way. We reflect on how it all played out, and look at some ways to help out of all the sadness.
We also talk about how to get ready for summer (you don’t actually need to do anything) and how self-care might all be a crock of shit. Also: TI is a terrible man, male birth control is here if he can stomach a shot to the nuts, and you simply have to read this bonkers story about an influencer and her ghost writer.
Make sure you head to our Facebook page for a chance to win The Seven Necessary Sins for Women and Girls and enjoy their bestseller list for November:
1. Olive, Again – Elizabeth Strout
2. WomanKind: New Zealand Women Making a Difference – Margie Thomson
3. Girl, Woman, Other – Bernadine Evaristo
4. The Testaments – Margaret Atwood
5. The Dutch House – Ann Patchett
6. The Political Years – Marilyn Waring
7. Purakau: Maori Myths Retold by Maori Writers – Whiti Hereaka & Witi Ihemaera
8. Where the Crawdad’s Sing – Delia Owens
9. Someone’s Wife – Linda Burgess
10. Scented – Laurence Fearnley
Download this episode (right click and save) or stream using the player below. You can subscribe using iTunes, Stitcher or your favourite podcast client (RSS feed). And now we’re available on Spotify!
The Spinoff Daily gets you all the days' best reading in one handy package, fresh to your inbox Monday-Friday at 5pm.