spinofflive
Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda looks onto the courtroom.
Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda looks onto the courtroom. (Image: Supplied)

SocietyOctober 24, 2023

What you need to know about the March 15 coronial inquest

Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda looks onto the courtroom.
Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda looks onto the courtroom. (Image: Supplied)

A coroner’s inquiry into the 2019 terrorist attacks on two Christchurch mosques began today. What is it, how long will it take and what is its aim? 

What’s going on?

Starting today in the coroner’s court in Christchurch, this inquiry is intended to establish the “truth” of what occurred on March 15, 2019. That doesn’t mean in any criminal sense – that part of the investigation is over and the terrorist will remain behind bars, without parole, for life. Coroner Brigitte Windley explicitly stated that this is “not an inquiry into the life of the man responsible for the 51 deaths”.

In order to help prevent future incidents, the coronial inquiry is intended to investigate additional circumstances linked to the attack that have so far not been addressed. As Coronial Services’ website says, “A coronial inquiry is a process to find out the facts of a death. A coronial inquiry does not decide who is guilty of causing a death. If a coroner believes they need more evidence to find out the facts of a death, they can hold a hearing in court. This is called a coronial inquest. At a coronial inquest, a coroner will hear from witnesses and consider evidence.”

Aya Al-Umari, who lost his brother Hussain Al-Umari in the attack, told the Herald he hopes to get answers to some long-held questions as a result of the inquest. “Could they have been saved? Were the right processes followed? Were the right protocols followed correctly? Was there enough time to save anyone?” he said.

And it’s significant?

Yes. A coronial inquiry in and of itself isn’t unusual – these are typically held to investigate the circumstances surrounding unexpected or suspicious deaths. But this is the largest coronial inquest in New Zealand history. Because the terrorist pleaded guilty, there was no opportunity for the court to examine the roles played by emergency services in the aftermath of the attack. This inquest will provide that opportunity.

So that’s what is being investigated?

In part. There are 10 key issues being examined during the inquiry. They are:

  1. The events of 15 March 2019 starting from commencement of the attack through to the completion of the emergency response and [the terrorist’s] formal interview by Police.
  2. The response times and entry processes of Police and ambulance officers at each mosque.
  3. The triage and medical response at each mosque.
  4. The steps taken to apprehend the offender.
  5. The role of, and processes undertaken by, Christchurch Hospital in responding to the attack.
  6. Coordination between emergency services and first responders.
  7.  Did [the attacker] have assistance from any other person on 15 March 2019.
  8. If raised by immediate family, and to the extent it can be ascertained, the final movements and time of death for each of the deceased.
  9. The cause(s) of death for each deceased; and whether any death could have been averted had alternative medical triage and/or medical treatment been administered to the context of the attack.
  10. Whether Masjid an-Nur’s emergency exit door in the south-east corner of the main prayer room failed to function on 15 March 2019 to allow egress in the course of the attack, and if so, why?
Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda.
Masjid An-Nur (Al Noor Mosque) imam Gamal Fouda. (Photo: Supplied)

How many people are involved in the inquest?

In short, a lot. An inquest such as this is unprecedented in New Zealand. There are more than 140 “interested parties” in this inquest, which includes the immediate family of many of the 51 victims. It’s been reported that more than 600 people will attend some part of the hearing in person, while about 100 will watch online – this will mainly be family members who could not make the trip to New Zealand.

Those who lost their lives came from 21 countries and spoke 13 different languages. Coronial Services stated that this means a “range of additional measures” have been taken to ensure close whānau can be supported during the inquest, including translated content, cultural advice, court victim advisers, and taking a trauma-informed approach throughout the coronial process.

What else is being done to support the families of the victims?

As reported by The Press, meals are being prepared for them by Share Kai Cooks Collective (you can donate to this initiative here), and the public is being encouraged to share messages of support that will be displayed on bunting at public libraries in Christchurch.

When did this process begin?

The coronial process commenced in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, but was put on hold while the criminal investigation began. It recommenced in late 2020 and almost a year later an inquiry was opened into each of the 51 deaths. The inquiry that started today is the “first phase” inquest. A full timeline can be found here.

How long will it take?

Six weeks have been set down, with the inquest set to conclude on December 15.

And will there be any further investigation?

It hasn’t been decided if there will be a second inquest, but some outstanding issues will be addressed following the first phase of the inquiry. These include whether the firearms licensing process that allowed the gunman to access his weapon can be “causally connected” to the attacks and whether the offender’s “online activity can be shown to have played a material role in his radicalisation”.

Kathryn Dalziel - counsel for some families.
Kathryn Dalziel – counsel for some families. (Image: Supplied)

Wasn’t there already an inquiry?

Yup. There was a  Royal Commission of Inquiry that took 20 months and was completed in late 2020. It made 44 recommendations across five areas, including that new hate speech legislation should be introduced (this work was put on hold earlier in the year by the outgoing Labour government).

While the Royal Commission was separate from the coronial inquiry, it was “considered closely” in setting the scope. The inquest is the third investigation undertaken into the attacks following the initial criminal proceedings and the Royal Commission. 

What has happened at the inquest so far?

At the time of publication, about a half a day of the inquest will have taken place. Before the inquest formally opened, there was a mihi whakatau and a reading of the Quran, reported The Press. There was then a tribute video played to honour those who lost their lives in the March 15 attack.

“I recognise that many of your lives have been forever impacted,” said coroner Brigitte Windley. “The events of March 15 can transition from dark to light, revealed by the evidence that we will hear… At the heart of each of these 51 inquiries is the person’s lives who’ve been lost.”

Is there any involvement from the terrorist in this proceeding?

At this point, no. However, he was at one point going to be involved during the discussion on whether he had any assistance with the attack. The Press reported that his status as an interested party was revoked and he is no longer expected to be involved in any phase of the inquiry. “There is a requirement under the Coroners Act to provide him with an opportunity to be heard about any proposed adverse comment the coroner may make in her findings,” The Press stated.

When will we learn anything from the inquest?

Any findings or recommendations will be revealed some time in 2024.

‘Become a member and help us keep local, independent journalism thriving.’
Alice Neville
— Deputy editor

Update October 26: An earlier version of this article mentioned a second coronial inquest. This has been updated to state that no decision on a second inquest has been made yet.

Keep going!
FeatureImage_TCOBSecondaryTeachers.png

SocietyOctober 24, 2023

The cost of being: Two secondary school teachers in South Auckland with a toddler

FeatureImage_TCOBSecondaryTeachers.png

As part of our series exploring how New Zealanders live and our relationship with money, a reader explains how she and her husband get by with a child, a mortgage, and only one full-time salary.

Gender: Female

Age: 29

Ethnicity: Pākehā

Role: Part-time secondary school teacher, two days per week. My husband is a full-time secondary school teacher. We have one 17-month-old.

My living location is: South Auckland.

Rent/mortgage per week: Our mortgage is $550 per week.

Student loan or other debt payments: Between us we have about $6000 student loan remaining. We also have a car loan at $130 per week. Our other big money-sinks are the insurances for both cars, our house and contents, and our health insurance.

Typical weekly food costs

Groceries: Roughly $220, but I only do a supermarket shop once every 10 days or so. It varies, since I don’t buy meat or cleaning products every time.

Eating out: $0. We only “go out” to eat once every few months.

Takeaways: $40

Workday lunches: (if not from home) $0. We always make enough dinner for leftovers.

Cafe coffees/snacks: $30. We do like barista coffees, especially on weekends.


Savings: We have about $6000 in savings right now. We saved away a lot of my Paid Parental Leave in 2022 to cover the rest of the year I took off for our child. Now that I work part time, we can start to build our savings back little by little. All my husband’s income goes towards our various bills, while mine covers what’s left, plus discretionary spending and savings.

We also have our Kiwisavers, but we already used them to buy our house, so that money will just sit there until our retirement (assuming that “retirement” as a concept will still exist), or until our capitalist system goes supernova – whichever comes first.

I worry about money: Sometimes.

Three words to describe our financial situation would be: Careful, steady, static.

My biggest edible indulgence would be: Flat whites. We do get them a lot. My husband also loves Granny Smith apples, so we get them in every shop regardless of price/kg.

In a typical week my alcohol expenditure would be: $0

In a typical week my transport expenditure would be: $180 on petrol between our two cars, but we don’t need to refill every single week. Neither of us use public transport.

Lifestyle costs

I estimate in the past year the ballpark amount I spent on my personal clothing was: $100 maybe, for each of us. We don’t tend to buy that much clothing, and I get gifted clothing fairly often. We’ve definitely spent a lot more on baby clothes.

My most expensive clothing in the past year was: $60 for a shacket on clearance from North Beach.

My last pair of shoes cost: $27 for a pair of white Nike sneakers from the Dressmart outlet.

My annual grooming/beauty expenditure would be: Less than $100 all up for the year? I buy the big 1L bottle of Cetaphil body wash from Chemist Warehouse and it seems to last forever. I cut my husband’s hair, and my mum cuts my hair. I hardly ever wear makeup. (I don’t even want to think about the expiry dates.)

My exercise expenditure in a year is about: $200 for running shoes for my husband. I do workouts at home.

My last Friday night cost: $0. We watch Youtube and play video games and drink tea.

Most regrettable purchase in the last 12 months was: I can’t think of anything major, but I bought my son one of those handheld water ring toys a couple of weeks ago for $4. We left the shop and he immediately chucked it on the ground where it cracked and leaked everywhere, so it went straight in the bin.

Most indulgent purchase (that I don’t regret) in the last 12 months was: $900 on a PS5. We traded in the old PS4 so we made a bit of that money back, though.

One area where I’m a bit of a tightwad is: Buying things just for myself. I find it very easy to talk myself out of things that I want, whereas I love buying little gifts for my husband and my son just ‘cause.

Five words to describe my financial personality would be: Bang for buck. Bargain hunter.

I grew up in a house where money was: Mysterious. My dad was the sole income earner. We never wanted for anything, but in hindsight I think we lived a bit beyond our means. We didn’t talk about money.

The last time my eftpos card was declined was: A month ago maybe? But I keep money in several accounts, so it was just a matter of transferring some over on my banking app.

In five years, in financial terms, I see myself: Roughly the same as now. We plan to have another child, and I want to work part-time at the most until they’re school-age, so I don’t see us being much better off. Hopefully we won’t be too much worse off, though.

I would love to have more money for: A holiday overseas. We haven’t been since pre-Covid.

Describe your financial low: The six months between my Paid Parental Leave payments ending and me starting part-time work when my son turned one. At no point were we really struggling, but it was quite disconcerting to see our savings get lower and lower without regenerating, even though we’d saved money away specifically for this purpose.

I give money away to: Church and family.

Want to contribute? Send us an email briefly describing your situation at costofbeing@thespinoff.co.nz

Read the previous Cost of Beings here.